The application deadline for next year’s Free Minds class has passed. Please complete the Join Our Community form above if you would like to be notified when applications are available for the Class of 2016.
Interested in Becoming a Student?
Every year, Free Minds students come from a wide range of backgrounds, ages, and cultural experiences. Free Minds classes are made up of students who have never been to college and those who have been to college, but did not complete a degree. In each year’s class are students already passionate about reading and writing and students who are being introduced to the humanities for the very first time; students with families and students living on their own; retirees and recent high school graduates. There is no “perfect” Free Minds student, but students who complete the program share at least one thing in common: enthusiasm for and commitment to education!
- a nine month (two semester) college class in humanities
- six college credits from ACC upon successful completion of the course
- free tuition, books, and hot meals on class nights
- instruction from leading UT and ACC professors
- practice writing and speaking in a supportive academic environment
- free quality childcare through Camp Fire USA’s youth development program
- individual case management with a licensed clinical social worker
- visits to museums, theater performances, and special classes with accomplished authors, artists, and scholars
- financial aid instruction, college fairs, and dedicated ACC advising
- invitations to monthly alumni master classes and ongoing writing workshops after graduation
Am I Eligible?
Eligible applicants must
- be at least 18 years old
- have demonstrated financial need
- have a high school diploma or GED
- be able to read challenging books in English
- not yet have a college degree and not have been enrolled in a degree-seeking program within the past two years
- make a commitment to attend class regularly and complete all assignments
Still have questions? Visit our Applicants’ FAQ page.